Friday 11 May 2007

Cleaning lady gripe

Here's a question: what's the deal with cleaning ladies? I know it's their job to clean and all, but do they really have to interfere with our personal space so much? Is it not enough to simply clean an area that's vacant?

Apparently not. Take this morning, for example. I was in the office, catching up on a bit of work. I like having the place to myself - the peace and quiet really helps me to concentrate. I mean, I'm all in favour of a bit of office chit-chat here and there, but if it's not Julie talking about the latest celebrity goss, it's some temp bothering me with silly questions, or that guy from sales whose name I don't even know talking about the game last night (brown nosing for a promotion, no doubt).

So I was sat at my PC - fixing other people's mistakes as usual - when the cleaning lady started dusting my desk!!! Can you imagine? A room full of desks to dust, and she decides to start on mine. I soon found myself craning my neck to look at my own bloody screen! And there she was, oblivious to the disturbance she was causing to an honest man earning his daily crust.

Maybe it's simple jealousy. I mean, you only need to look at her to see she doesn't earn a packet. Probably lives in squalour. And the only way she can get her kicks is by interfering with a man who doesn't have to think twice before buying his kids a new pair of trainers.

Anyway, I wasn't going to let it pass, so I caught her attention and asked her what the bloody hell she thought she was doing. "What does it look like I'm doing?", she had the impertinence to reply. I said, "It looks like you're getting in my way," and she went off in a huff to go and smoke.

I saw her later and took her aside to inform her that I could get her fired if I wanted to. Obviously, I'm not going to - but I could. And if it teaches her to let people have their own personal space, then that's no bad thing by my reckoning. No bad thing at all.

No comments: